Friday, October 1, 2010

Fresh Shiny New Month!!

I really like the beginning of the month for running. It makes me feel like anything is possible. Sorry for the cliches. :) Last month, September, was my best month for running so far. I ran the most amount of miles in a month that I have EVER run ( almost 50!) and ran the longest race I have ever run( a 10 k, 6.2 miles, 2x the length what I raced in April and May!) and was pretty consistent in increasing my long runs and also having training runs in different lengths.
So, anyways, today we ran at Brushy Creek. It was a pretty good run. Because we are going to be running a 10 mile race at the end of the month, I am hoping to run a good amount of 5 mile runs as my in between runs to get an idea of how it would feel to run twice that amount. Also, today was the first day of my new running intervals. For this month, I am now going to be trying to do 2 min's walking and one minute and ten seconds of running. If I run over the one minute and 10 seconds, I count it as a credit that I can use to take a longer break later if need be. ( for example, instead of just running 1 minute, 10 seconds, I run 1 minute and 15 seconds, that is 5 extra seconds. So I was waiting in this run until I had 60 credit seconds so that I could take a 3 minute walking break instead of just a 2 minute walking one.)Im hoping that this slight increase will help improve my overall time and also help with my endurance as I try to increase my longer runs.


This is the race we are hoping to do at the end of the month, it is called the Run for the Water 10 mile race. As you know, the most I have run is 6.62 miles. So I'm really worried about my ability to do this, however, there are still about 3 and a half weeks. I doubt that I will have gotten my training up enough but hopefully then my mileage will have increased so that doing the actual race wont be such a stretch. At least it will make it that I dont have a goal time, just a goal: FINISH THE RACE!
http://gazellefoundation.com/runforthewater2010/

No comments:

Post a Comment