Thursday, July 26, 2012

Ten Things Thursday- Super Ramble edition



This is a pic from the track from this morning's workout. 

Workouts for the Week so far:
Monday- Strength/Weight Workouts- 17 minutes
Tuesday- 3.24 miles (run group)
Wednesday- 1408 yds Swimming
Thursday- 2.84 miles (run group)


So Ten Things:


1. I recently started ( like yesterday) doing a Calorie Counter app along with my husband. I've tried food logs in the past, but didn't really have much success with them. I kinda don't like keeping one, as it is hard to deny, deny,deny when right in front of your face is the COLD, HARD truth that you eat like a pig. :/ Seriously, I know I have a sweets problem but come on!

2. So, thanks to our morning run group, I have been doing longer workouts during the week. I'm hoping eventually that my long runs won't seem so hard if I can build up more mileage during the week.


3. Yesterday, my swim was .80 miles, my furthest swim in the last 6 months. My longest swim this year is .85 miles. Last year, I had my swim distance PR of 1.24 miles. I'm hoping that I can beat that distance by the end of this year!

4. Fall Semester is starting back in a month. It would be nice to  run at Texas State more then last year (I only ran twice although I did use their gym a lot, it's pretty nice) as I think all those hills would really be helpful to prepare for the Austin Marathon.


5. I'm curious to see if my runs get faster if that will have any effect on my swims getting faster. I know endurance helps, but if you gain endurance in running, does that help other sports, or does it just depend?


6.   I have a dream of one day running in just a sport bra. I know, sounds like a lame dream, but I always feel like you have to have confidence in your body to be able to wear one and unfortunately, I'm not there. My stomach is not worth the show. People would demand my shirt be put back on. Although sometimes it gets so damn hot, I feel like wearing one that says I JUST COULDN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!


7. Lately when I do my swims at the apt pool, no one is around.  I love having the entire pool to myself. It reminds me of when I lived in Melbourne,Fl as a little girl and had a big pool in our backyard. Whenever I'm done with my workout, I do flips and handstands and walk on my hands and it's great. I feel young again! I have a post I've been going over in my mind  about my relationship with swimming and how I think it affects my running/life. Hopefully, I will write it soon.

8. Does anyone have a specific deodorant they use for their workout clothes? Between me swimming and running and my husband working out, we wash a lot of workout clothes and it seems like you can't ever REALLY get the stench of sweat out. I've heard they have sports detergent but I'm just wondering if that is legit as they seem kinda pricey.

9. Around the end of the month my first published poem is coming out in the Texas State Literary Journal I was an editor on! If you would like a sneak peek at the poem, it's on my other blog:
http://thgirlwritesright.blogspot.com/2011/07/chocolate-pee.html


10. Tonight we are going to Pluckers for the Wingo Bingo! I'm really looking forward to as I love me some hot wings! I am not looking forward to logging the calories on the Calorie Counter though that's for sure.

2 comments:

  1. #4 Two things that will make you run faster, sooner are hills and speedwork. We do a hard hill workout about once every 10 days and now speedwork on Thursday. If you balance that with easy runs and recovery runs you should see improvements pretty quick. So running at Texas State would be great. I wouldn't count easy runs around campus as a hard hill workout unless you are running up and down a hill or hills repeatedly at a faster pace.


    #8 The sports detergent is expensive and I don't think it is any different. It's my experience that some workout clothes just stink after a while and I haven't figured out why.
    I do three things and it seems to help.
    1. When I get home my clothes are soaked so I hang them up to dry and wait until the next day to throw them in the laundry bag.
    2. I wash them in cold water with normal detergent and no fabric softener. I dry them on medium or low heat and again no fabric softener sheets. Drying on high heat makes them smell bad-funky, then when you add sweat it gets sweaty-bad-funky.
    3. Buy Febreze Sport. I know Target carries it. It is made for technical fabrics and things that can't be washed. I have a couple shirts that I spray before I put them on and so far I haven't noticed any irritation and they don't get stinky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1 - I am horrible with food logs. Can't do them. Portion control and me don't get along well :)

    #5 - Unfortunately, I haven't noticed that becoming a faster runner makes me a faster swimmer. Swim is so technical that the fitness does not really translate. However, I do think swimming helps me become a stronger and faster runner - it really works your core and a strong core is key for running - especially distance running.

    #8 - I just use regular detergent. I've tried some of the free samples of the Sport Detergent and really didn't it make a difference, especially for the price difference.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete