Thursday, July 19, 2012

Ten Things Thursday


Pic from my track/speed workout today.

Workouts for the Week so far:

Monday: 1285 yd Swim
Tuesday3.09 miles Hill Workout (group run)
Evening: 16 min core workout
1.01 mile evening run
Wednesday: Rest Day
Thursday: 2.26 mile speed workout (group run) 


So, I have seen in a lot of running blogs where people sometimes do short snippets of thoughts, extc. As I am a copycat, I will jump on this bandwagon. By the way, where did " jumping on the bandwagon" come from? It seems that jumping on a bandwagon would be hard, but is the band-wagon moving, is it still, is it even spelled band-wagon? Questions, Questions, but no answers. 


1. Today I did a track/speed workout with the running group. As usual, I SMOKED EVERYONE! NOT! Just checking to see if you are paying attention. In about 30 minutes, I did: 
9 x 160 meters, with 240 recovery in between. It was suppose to be 200 meters run/ 200 meters recovery, but I don't/can't follow directions. My husband did about 5 more then me as he likes to show off. I kid, I kid, love you babe.


2. The last 2 years, my husband and I have run the 10k race at Heels and Hills and Him. Last year, my husband even got first place in his age division! Super proud! :) However, with considering doing a marathon in Feb, I'm wondering if instead of doing the 10k as usual, we should do the half-marathon option? It's kind of nice to have a race where you can consistently see your progress, but it's also cool to do something different. I really like this course as it is in Irving, right by friend's of my husband's and I. Plus, now my sister is moving to Dallas, so we would be able to visit her too. 






3. Sometimes I wish I could run like my cat Dorian. He kinda sprints and glides in the air. He runs like he dances only with a lot of jumps. He is very jumpy. I suppose if I was very jumpy, hills would be a lot easier, I'm just sayin.... 


4. Does anyone know of any good running related movies on Netflix? I have watched Spirit of the Marathon about 50 mlllion times and while I love it, it would be nice to have something different to change up the pace. I have already seen the NYC Marathon one about it's founder, that one is pretty cool, only I don't think they have it on Netflix. 

5. One of my neighbors upstairs has a little white dog that runs 6 MILES A DAY! My poor stubby-legged Scottie, Eva, has never run that far in her life. :( It's not enough that I have to feel slow and lazy, but once you make my poor ottoman of a dog feel that way, you have gone too far! TOO FAR!


She may not be the fastest, but she is the cutest! 

6. Typically, I read Runner's World a lot. But recently my mom got me a magazine subscription to RunningTimes. I have read them before, but always still been more partial to Runner's World. However, I really like the photos in their magazines. The pictures of trail runs really make me think it would be cool to do a trail run one day. I don't know how trail runs compare with road races though, as far as effort and expected decrease in pace. Does anyone have suggestions on how to look into preparing for a trail race?

7. I know people have heard of window-shopping, but when you look at a lot of races, is that race-shopping? Sometimes I put races on my list of races to do that I know I probably won't get around to doing, but it just feels good to pretend I have something exciting to look forward to. Is that lame? Probably. But for me, being signed up and payed for, means I AM DOING THE RACE. Unless I am really injured/sick, which so far hasn't happened. Since I never know what may come up, I usually have races I know I really want to try and be able to do and then I have my "race shopping" ones, you know the " these would be nice to do if I am so inclined to do so" ones.

8. I'm in love with Epsom Salts. Seriously. Today after the speedwork, in which I thought I was going to die or at the very least, vomit my cereal out from, my body was WRECKED. So, I used the epsom salt bath stuff. After soaking for 20 minutes, I felt much better. The first ones I ever used were the Burt's Bees ones, which were about 10.00 ( kinda pricey), but last month, my husband found some at Target for about 5 bucks. I try to save em for when I am feeling particularly tired or sore. Almost always works! Highly recommend them!

9.  I really need some new running shoes. I am currently in a committed relationship with Mizuno's. My last three pairs of running shoes have been Mizuno. However, I have not bought a new pair of running shoes since LAST OCTOBER. Might as well be a million years ago as far as my knees are concerned. But, my mom bought me some trail Nike shoes that I am wearing sometimes lately as although they are not as good ( they aren't as supportive as my Mizuno's, nor as flexible if that makes sense, plus they are heavier), they haven't had the cushion beat out of them. So... I suppose they will have to do until I get some new Mizuno's! Or finally leave Mizuno's if I find something I like better.

10. I've been reading a lot of really good running blogs lately, ones I have read before but didn't mention in my blog, I'll try to remember to mention them more. One of the ones I have been reading a lot of lately is my running friend, Erin. She is awesome. She is very fast and knows a lot about running and designs the great group workouts I have done this week. She also is very funny and really knows how to describe a race to help make you feel like you are there. If you want to learn about running from someone who knows what they are talking about, check out her blog: http://erinsjourneytoironman.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. You are so nice, Allison - thank you for the blog shout out :) Very much appreciated!!!! I am flattered :)

    And, great job again both Tuesday and Thursday. Both were VERY tough workouts, and both you and Vince really looked strong out there. I think those workouts actually scared away some of our regulars but you all handled them like champs!! I really am so glad you guys decided to join us, especially since it's so early!

    I think the 1/2 option @ Heels and Hills would be a good tune-up for the Marathon. Or, it you wanted to do the 10k, maybe another half later on in your training cycle before the marathon. Run for the Water 10 miler would also be a good pre-marathon race. The good thing about Central Texas is there are lots of options to choose from!

    Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete