Sunday, August 5, 2012

So Sweaty it's like My Hair is Sobbing




Pic from my run this morning at San Gabriel Park. 



Workouts for the Week:
Monday- 1514 yds swim
Tuesday- 3.74 miles (run group)- Degressive Hills
Wednesday- 898 yds swim
Thursday- 3.06 miles (run group)- Track Ladder Workout
968 yds swim
Friday- Rest Day
Saturday- 1.27 mile run (run with Eva)
17 min core workout
1038 yd swim
Sunday- 4 miles (easy run)


Recap of the Week: This week was a recovery week, so no long run. Which was fine by me as  you can really start to tell it is getting muy calinte here in Texas. I am really happy I swam 4x this week, especially as the last two weeks I was shooting for 3x a week and only managed 2x. I also continued my four weeks of training with four runs a week. My plan ( as of right now) is 4 runs a week for the first 3 and a half months of training and then 2 longish runs and 1 long run the last 3 and a half months to give my body more rest as I really build my mileage up. I did my core workout for the week. 
Overall, I am pretty happy with this weeks workouts. I wish my runs and swims would have been a little faster, but I mean, I know I will ( hopefully improve).


Moving forward, I am thinking we will not do the Heels and Hills Race as 
1. We still need to make a final decision and register for the Marathon ( I would like to make the decision before Aug.28th, when the price increases)
2. I think for our money ( for the price of two half-marathons) will best be used for new shoes for me and my husband. I haven't had a new pair in a while and with increased training, I think new shoes is a more immediate need.
But you never know. So far this year, we have only raced 3 races and I miss racing. 


Also, for the next 4 weeks, my new workout goals will be:
1. Run 4x a week, with at least one 4 mile run during the week.
2. Swim 3x a week, 4x during recovery week
3. Do core workout one time a week, 2x a week during recovery week.
Small increases overall, but I think an additional core workout couldn't hurt and an additional swim when my time isn't monopolized by a long run I think will feel good on my body.


And I know I sound like a broken record, but I can not stress enough how helpful a run group is. I have  been running since April 2010 and I wish I hadn't waited this long to join a group. I was so intimated about being slow. But honestly, so what? I can be a slow runner by myself or I can be a slow runner around others. Being around other people who sincerely care about running feels great. Also, it helps build structure in your training and has workouts that you might normally avoid ( COUGH HILL WORKOUT) and you will be surprised by your improvements (for me, feeling like I wasn't going to throw-up on my 3rd track workout was great). Not just that, but you see runners that are all of ages and abilities and it really enforces something you see in races: it's not about age or size or gender, it's about consistently going out there and putting the time and effort into it.


WEEK #4 MARATHON TRAINING IN THE BAG- 28 WEEKS TILL THE MARATHON!!! 





1 comment:

  1. We love having you guys at run group :) Run group has helped me tremendouly - it both holds me accountable and pushes me to work harder. It's been really nice! Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete