Thursday, August 30, 2012

Ten Things Thursday



This is a pic from my group run Tuesday.
Workouts for the Week:
Monday- 1100 yds swim
Tuesday- 4.25 miles (run group)
Wednesday- REST DAY
Thursday-3.53 miles (run group- track intervals)
1285 yds swim

1. I ran 71 miles this month! The most miles in a month in over a year! Take that Texas Heat!

2. This week was my first week back at Texas State. I almost forgot how walking all those hills felt.

3. I renewed my membership at the Rec last week, I am hoping I will do weights more. I really like the weights there, especially that back extension one, it almost always makes my back feel a little better.

4. Lately I have been watching a lot of Seinfeld and started watching Boardwalk Empire. I didn't really like Seinfeld when I was younger, but I really like it now. So far we have only seen two episodes of Boardwalk Empire but it's awesome. A great period piece series.

5. There's been talk that a cold front might be coming in. I hope it's not so much talk as it is fact!

6. I got to see my dad today, which was great as I was haven't seen him in a while.

7. Tomorrow my job is having a training session. Don't really know what to expect, but I do know we are getting Jason's Deli! We picked out our own individual meals- for free! I feel like fancy pants. 

8. I'm trying to balance all the workouts I want to get in with more rest but it's kind of hard to increase workouts- in amount or length and get more rest. Or maybe I'm just lazy as other people somehow do it.

9. I have been so tired lately, I don't know if it's the long run Sunday, going back to school this week or allegeries but I hope next week to feel better. Maybe my body just really needed this recovery week.

10. We are suppose to run at Lake Pflugerville on Sunday, which will be awesome because I haven't run there in a while.

5 comments:

  1. I would love to run Lake Pflugerville. One of these days. Do you live in Cedar Park? Also, I just wanted to ask, how is your nutrition? The reason I ask is because when I started running long distances I needed to increase my food intake. Coming from a girl who only eats 2 meals a day and beef once a month, it was very hard. But, I started adding protein powder to my recovery shakes and I bought some greens and added that also. How much are you eating during your long runs? I typically eat a big bowl of oatmeal before and have 4 oz of my homemade gel. I take a recovery shake, a banana afterwards. I don't eat solid, big meals because it takes longer for your body to digest it. Stick to simple carbs. I used to feel so tired but found it that it's all about what and when you eat. Hope this helps! Love your blog!!!: )
    Also, try cocunut oil, unrefined, many marathon runners eat a spoonful of this before a run. It really helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen- No, I live in Georgetown. My nutrition is not so great. I really think increasing my long runs definetly affects the amount I need to eat. My husband makes shakes for us sometimes after long runs and puts protein powder in them but otherwise, I don't really use it. It depends on the length of my long runs, but I usually have a bowl of cereal or oatmeal before hand and a gel every 45 minutes. I follow it up with some gatorade and then when I get home usually some chocolate milk. High sugar content, I know. I might start adding some gatorade during the run though to help practice what it will be like at the marathon. I know when I eat healthier, it makes a big difference. I will keep an eye for that coconut oil. Thank you for reading and for the tips!

      Delete
  2. I struggle with the lack of sleep or being tired too. I used to run 3 or 4 times a week but since February I have been running every day except Sunday. It has been an adjustment and I've learned a few things. I'm not preaching, things I mention here are things I've done, or things I do. I am a work in progress.

    1. I need coffee. I drink about 32 oz before noon and then no more after that so I don't have trouble falling asleep at night.

    2. If I can take a nap I will. Even a 15-30 minute power nap does wonders.

    3. Vitamins don't give you energy. A well balanced diet is your best bet.

    4. I eat about every hour or every two hours depending on my schedule. I eat to stay awake. Fresh veggies and fruit are good options. I learned that french fries and chicken nuggets are poor options. Candy and foods high in sugar are the worst because you will have a sugar crash and be worse than before. As Jen said, eat plenty of protein. Protein powders are a great way to add protein to almost any food or drink. Your daily intake should be about .5g of protein for every pound of body weight. Protein helps you recover, builds and repairs lean muscle.
    You can buy soy and whey protein powders in bulk. There are dozens of choices for brand name powders in all flavors. Also plant-based, organic protein powders. There is something for everyone. Soy protein powder is my least favorite.

    5. Take a nap any chance you have. I have fond memories of 'studying' in the library at college.

    6. Get as much uninterrupted sleep as you can. Turn off the TV and the tablet/computer, and read a book. Unplug and unwind. Get 6 to 8 hours of sleep a night.

    7. Make your most important activities the priority. Don't get sucked into late night TV shows, or wasting time on the internet.

    I think I need a nap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to balance it all for sure! Looks like you are getting in some great workouts though!

    We have just started Boardwalk Empire too! it's really good so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to clarify, nothing against any TV show, just don't stay up late watching them. DVR them and watch them earlier (while you are doing core workouts). :-)

      Delete