Thursday, August 2, 2012

Ten Things Thursday




Pic from my track workout this morning. In case you don't know what a track looks like. 


Workouts for the Week so far:

Monday- 1514 yds swim
Tuesday- 3.74 miles (run group)- Degressive Hills
Wednesday- 898 yds swim
Thursday- 3.06 miles (run group)- Track Ladder Workout
968 yds swim


1. Today's workout was a track ladder workout. Although hard and tired (as usual), I am really happy that today was my first day of a track workout where I didn't feel like throwing up! Yeah for progress!


2. Mileage Recap for July-
Running- 56 miles (most since October of last year!)
Swimming- 7 miles  (most in over a year!!)

3. Right now I am reading this book:

It's really, really, really good so far. I have a lot of books at home that I haven't read and so I try not to buy that many books. But whenever I get books from the library, I never want to give them back and end up paying so much in fines, I should have bought the book anyways.
So, at the age of 26 ( my age, which is one of the reasons I wanted to read this), Cheryl Strayed decides to hike a large portion of the Pacific Crest Trail BY HERSELF!!!. In large part, this is a decision brought on by the death of her mother four years ago, the end of her marriage and recent heroin use. She meets people along the way of her summer long hike. Really helpful to read when I am feeling tired and not at all like working out. If she can hike an extremely hard trail ( with no prior backpacking/hiking experience), then I can get up to work out!

4. We found a way to watch the Olympics today and I'm loving it! It's so awesome to see people with such amazing skills and talents!

5. Every time I get up and go to group runs, I am amazed. So far, I have gone to the last SIX in a row. It never fails to deliver. The workouts are always mixed up, challenging and fun. I wonder how long I can keep this streak up! One thing though I've noticed is that Sundays are typically my long runs, Mondays usually my long swims and so by the time Tuesday morning rolls up, I am tired. However, I have heard about practicing running on tired legs to get a feel for the marathon or maybe I don't know what I am talking about and that's a bad idea. Either way, I like running with my husband on Sunday, the release of soreness by doing a long swim Monday and the group motivation on Tuesday, so I guess I'll stick with it!

6. My dog is feeling better and better since Tuesday. Sometimes it's hard to know when to go to the vet because it can be really expensive, but she is worth it! She turns 3 this Saturday and I am happy she will be feeling better! I'm thinking about maybe taking her to the dog park here in town, she really likes it!

7. I have been listening to this running podcast, Dirty Dawg's Running Diatribe. It's pretty interesting. I really liked his recap of his first 100 mile run. He's an ultra runner and has guest speakers on and often has his wife who is also a runner. If you have the time or looking for something worth listening to, I'd check it out. Sometimes he does podcasts when he is running and I'm like thinking, how do you do that and concentrate on your run?! I'd probably trip over something and fall.

8. Fot the last couple of months, I have really been into soup, which is unfortunate as it is hot as hades here in Central Texas. McAlister's Deli has this country potato soup, sooooo good. A cup is only about 200 calories, so it's not that bad if you are eating out.

9. Typically when we do our long runs, we alternate between San Gabriel Trail and Brushy Creek Trail. However, when I get to my 14 mile training run, we get to run at Town Lake!! I have only run there about 2 or 3 times, since it is so far away. I'm really looking forward not just because it's a probably my favorite place for people-watching while running, but because the longest I have ever run in my life is 13.1 miles, so 14 miles is a big deal for me.

10. Runners World has a short quick daily blog by Mark Remy that is pretty interesting.
http://rwdaily.runnersworld.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment