Sunday, September 19, 2010

Eva and me and a new trail


So, today was the first time Vince and I have ever gone to the Wells Branch Trail. I'm not even sure if that's exactly what it is called, but we had both seen it separately while we were out at work making deliveries. Its in the Wells Branch subdivision, and not far from our home.
Because it is a new trail route that we weren't familiar with, we wanted to run a short run. Since I had just run 6.62 miles 2 days ago, and we have the race in ONE WEEK, we are taking these next couple of runs until the race easy. No long runs.
Which is why we decided we should take our Scottish Terrier Eva on the run with us.
Now although Eva has run with us twice before in the last 5 months, once at Old Settlers Trail and once at Lake Pflugerville Trail, Vince was the one walking her. We were doing training runs with me because Eva is like me and out of shape and can not keep up with Vince's pace.

But today was the first time I walked Eva by myself while Vince did his own run. And it was HARD. First off, in one hand, I had a water bottle full of Gatorade, my cell phone, and in the other, her leash and my ipod. And of course, my running shorts have no pockets. And also I forgot doggie bags. I must of had to stop for a total of 6 minutes with all the Eva interruptions: stopping to smell other dogs on the trail, pooping, looking and running away from the ducks, sniffing the dead turtle :(, and extc.
Now, to her credit, I was proud of her because she kept up with me the whole time and did not have to be dragged at the end or carried like the last 2 times. I think it is mainly because she did not stick to one side of me while I was running with so much in my hands that made it hard.
But the trail itself was very cool. I ran past a park, a lake, ducks, a lot of people mainly walking ( very different from Town Lake, way more beginner friendly and laid back) and some really nice houses.
Also, if you notice from that picture on top, at one point me and Eva ran through a tiny tunnel that was underneath the street and when you came out of it, it had this big mirror that you could see yourself in, it was really random.
Mainly, I just ran out at first not knowing where the trail went and then just decided to do this same loop around the main park about 5 times. The first 4 times I did it with Eva, and then Vince was done with his run and I did it my self. It definitely feels freer ( is that a word) to be able to run without a 23 pound dog.
I'm happy we found a new place to run and I'm glad Eva was able to hang with us this time. Maybe one day we will do a race with her!
Oh and that was the first time I ever ran with Gatorade and not water, I thought because it was a short run and I didn't want or need gels, that it would be a good idea, but it wasn't. I don't recommend it. If you are concerned about electrolytes, just do what we usually do and bring Smart Water/gels and then follow it up with Gatorade when you are done and a cold glass of chocolate milk when you get home for the muscles.


This half marathon isn't even until the end of January, a little over 4 months away, and already 700 people have registered for it. It's one of the top half marathons in Austin and it's one I hope me and Vince will be able to run. Considering I just barely ran more then 6.5 miles, Im a LONG way off from 13.1. But still, I like to think I could one day be able to do one, if not this one. My sister did one last year and Im very proud of her for it.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/HalfMarathon/Home/

1 comment:

  1. The Gatorade was definitely a bad choice, but eva did do a good job. Maybe we should take her on more runs.

    ReplyDelete