Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Out with the Rain, In with the Treadmill


This is what the weather was like today. I wanted to run, but not in sloppy, hard rain in the dark with cars and apartments that are doing a bad job of keeping the lights lit!!! grrr!
So, I was resigned to using the treadmill.Although I don't like the treadmill, it is handy when the weather is 100 degrees or in this particular case, just horrible. I am definitely not looking forward to when the weather gets brutally cold. Will I woman up and just put on the layers and run? Or will I be so chicken that I do nothing but treadmill runs? As Enya says, only time will tell. Hmm. I have been noticing that a lot of my pop culture references are outdated, but who knows what those crazy kids are listening to nowadays?
Anyways, maybe I trash talk the treadmill in haste, because today was actually a pretty good run. I feel like maybe we have reached a new level in our relationship. I'm serious. It could be that.
Or it could also be that I listened to my husband's advice from our training run on Sunday and tried to walk faster on my walking breaks. I'm still doing my intervals of walking 2 minutes, running 1 minute and for a while I was reaching a standstill with no real improvement. So I thought I need to do something else. But actually having the discipline to strictly adhere to your intervals, even after an hour, can be harder then it seems. Or maybe it's just me.


I thought this was interesting because runners usually bemoan running uphill, when actually you need to be careful running downhill. But I think because running downhill feels so good, you are more inclined to not think about how you need to be careful. And it's weird because i was just talking with my husband about the plus side of treadmills being that you can increase the incline and in a sense it's almost like mock hills. And he was saying he read it's actually better to decrease the incline to make it more like a decline because the impact of running on the road is harder then on the treadmill and if you run a lot on the treadmill that your feet will not be prepared for the beating it will take when you do road races. Either way, that is a mute point with me because i do most of my running ( out of like 67 runs, Ive run now about 3 on the treadmill) outside.Still, read Nike's running tips, they are pretty cool:
http://inside.nike.com/blogs/nikerunning_training-en_US/2010/09/07/tip-be-mindful-on-the-downhill

No comments:

Post a Comment