Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sometimes it takes two, but not today!

Last week, I ran what had, up till the point, been the furthest I had been able to run. I was finally, finally able to run a full 10k distance( plus. 6 extra) and it was all thanks to my husband running with me the whole time and keeping me on track.

It ended up being the fastest I have ever run in 5 months of running, even faster then all of my race paces. So, of course, I was really thankful and happy for his help. But also, because I am a pessimist by nature, I had to view this sucess as a cause to worry about my chances of succeding on my own.

If my fastest pace and furthest amount run was when I had someone running with me the entire time, how would I succeed on my own? Because I have always been the type of person who runs from discomfort, pain and discipline, Im sure it is easy to understand how I severly improve when someone is next to me saying, " Run. Walk faster. Let's go. Start running. don't stop." So, even if I do want to punch him in the face because Im tired, my husband is an excellent training partner. He doesn't stray from the plan and tries his best to help me achieve my goals.

Which is why when I ran my run today, I was really relieved. Although I wasnt able to maintain as good a pace as when Vince ran with me, I ran longer! Six and a half miles may not be a lot to most people, but it took me so long to get to 6.2 miles that I am just relieved I was able to run further then that on the very next long run! I took Vince advice and tried to walk faster on my walking breaks, and I think it definetly helped!

Disclosure: In the interest of being honest, let me say that I did run on Friday. And it was a gawd awful run. It was late at night, only 3.48 miles and I had a horrible pace. I didn't want to write a blog on it cause it put me a bad mood. But reading the post I mention below helped put things in perspective. But no one needs to tell me Im whiny. I pretty much got that :)



This is a post I came across through Runners World's Other Voices Blog. It may be the most elegantly, emotionally heartbreaking post I have read on running. It's hard to read this and complain about the heat, a bum ankle or blisters, or whatever.
health interrupted- Post," I still remember running"
http://katehooks.blogspot.com/2010/03/i-still-remember-running.html

No comments:

Post a Comment