Thursday, September 6, 2012

Ten Things Thursday



This is a pic from my track workout today.

Workouts for the Week so far:
Monday- 1531 yd swim
Tuesday- 5 miles (Run Group- Tempo/Hills)
Wednesday- 850 yd swim
Thursday- 3.78 miles (Run Group- Track 800's)

1. Just signed up for this race next week! I am really excited! We have barely done any races this year, this will be our 4th one and it was a great deal! 17 bucks for Texas State Students, with timing and a long-sleeve tech shirt. Kinda nervous about that hills, but it should be good training for the marathon!



2. My work meeting last week went really well, I work on the Round Rock Campus so it was nice to meet the people that work at the San Marcos campus. I'm really lucky to have a great immediate coordinator and a great director that I work under. Tomorrow we have a conference that includes various people who work for student support. Should be pretty cool.

3. I have had a lot of really good workouts this week.My swim Monday was the longest this year ( by .01 mile but still). I ran exactly 5 miles on Tuesday (my longest run during the week this training period), I had a under 50 min swim pace Wednesday and with the help of Mick today at the track, one of my repeats was a whole minute faster then the other ones!

4.Tuesday we did a tempo run and then hill repeats. I only did one mile of the tempo run but I did all 6 of the hill repeats. It took me a while, but I did it! Everyone keeps talking about the hills in the Austin Marathon so I am trying to be pro-active.

5. I need a core-group. Do those things exist? I just am not a motivated person when it comes to doing weights. Perhaps the reason they do not work for me is I do not do them much...

(Has anyone tried any of their workouts before? I get magazines and I SAY I'm going to do these workouts, but it usually doesn't happen for me.)

6. I thought I needed new shoes ( and I still think so) but then I saw my husbands running shoes had holes in them! :( I really want to try and go shoe-shopping with him soon. I am trying to convert him over to the Mizuno side. So far he has had one pair and likes them. The problem is he wears like a 13 and needs a lot of stability and it seems like there is always more shoes for neutral whenever we go looking. 

7. These ads really irritate me. There is no one weird tip! Totally annoying and falls into that quick fix mentality thing which I think is really unhealthy. I started running mainly to lose weight 2 years ago. All I have done is gain weight as I eat more since I workout ( I have a bad case of the I-deserve-this coupled with the crippling disease know as Stress Eating.) but even I know that most of it boils down to genetics, diet and exercise! ( I know that is a huge generalization and that there are cases/ legitimate health issues that make it hard but I think for the vast majority of people it is lack of self-control and/or not working out. I never met a hot wing or a piece of chocolate I could turn down!) Sheesh!

 
8. I am reading one of Tolstoy's short stories for one of my literature classes and it is a slowww read so far. I love poetry and I love fiction/non-fiction, but in general, I am not so much a fan of the short story although hopefully this one will get better. This is my only straight literature class as my other English class is Magazine Writing and is very non-traditional in terms of reading, although there is a textbook it is more of a compilation of various magazine articles.

 
9. I haven't had a full rest day with no exercise since last Friday. That can't be smart training for me so I am definetly taking tomorrow off. I just have so many workouts I want to do and I am not in the mood this week for 2 a days. Not that I really even do a lot of those anyways so I don't know why I am complaining, lol.


10. I am really nervous about this long run Sunday. Although I have good workouts this week so far, the long run is a different beast and that last 10.7 mile is kinda making me worry. It only gets harder and longer from here, but one indiviual run does not define my whole training. I need to remember that.

2 comments:

  1. Don't think about the long runs so much, worrying doesn't do anything for you. Keep it simple, just go run for X miles or X hours.

    We do a core workout on Fridays in Teravista. We do a one mile warm-up run then about 30 minutes of core. You are welcome to join us. 5:30 AM at the Resident's Club.

    Post workout meals are tough. When I first started running I would be starving about an hour after a run. I would stand at the pantry and eat whatever I could. Cookies, cereal, granola bars, it if was easy to open and tasted OK without prep it was going into my belly.
    I had to train myself that even though I 'could' eat whatever I wanted I didn't 'need' to eat as much as I wanted.
    My suggestion is a post workout meal with extra protein. Protein powders can be mixed with just about anything, including water. The extra protein will help your body recover and it makes you feel full longer.
    Have frequent snacks of fresh fruits and veggies - without the dipping sauces. this is tough love - If you don't like them now, learn to like them.
    Use the 80 - 20 rule. 80% of the time eat a low fat well balanced diet (does not include fast food and very few sweets). 20% of the time you can eat anything you want in moderation.

    You are doing great Allison! We all had to learn a lot to get where we are. Set goals and keep working to meet. Don't be afraid to push yourself. You won't break anything, in fact you'll do the opposite, you will exceed your expectations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mick for all your advice! Right now with going to school in San Marcos on a friday, I don't think I can make it up there in enough time. I still struggle to wake up in time to make it to georgetown and I live right there, lol. But I do appreciate your solution to my complaints! I also really like the 80 to 20 suggestion. Very good simple realistic advice. I am a big time stress eater and have found especially when school starts up, I tend to stress eat while dealing with papers, extc. Then that combined with social eating makes it to the point where I can find any excuse to not healthy. But I think it is more about moderation and thinking long term. I know eating healthier would help my running. Thank you again for all your help!

    ReplyDelete